The aqueduct, named Carolino in honour of the King, a spectacular feat of hydraulic engineering, is certainly one of the most important public works carried out by the Bourbons; “it emulates the ancient Romans who, with beautiful works, in different places, they took the water, to their liking, " (P. Colletta).Originated from the need to supply the great city that would be risen around the palace,and in order to enhance the water supply of the city of Naples, it was intended also to water supply of the real delights and power supply of fountains and water games they present.Starting from 1752, in the "tightness" of Airola (BN), at the foot of Taburno, 254 meters above sea level, were identified numerous sources, all belonging to the Prince of Riccia, who donated it to the king. Gained the approval of the king, it passed to the operational phase by dividing the work into three sections: from Fizzo to the mountain of Ciesco; from the latter to the mountain Garzano; from Garzano to the royal palace.The conduit, meters wide 1.20 high 1.30, and its 38 km long, is almost entirely buried, except the parts that go on decks, and it’s reported by 67 turrets, characteristic constructions in square plan and pyramidal roof, intended to vents and to inspection’s access.The works began in 1753, in the first two sections, later in the third and was completed in 1770 with a total expenditure of 622 424 ducats (A. Sancho, 1826).
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Aerial photo to the Bridges of the Valle
L. Vanvitelli, The bridges of the Valleby the Declaration of drawings, Naples 1756
Caserta - Carolino Aqueduct from the sources of Fizzo to the Royal Palace in F. Patturelli, Caserta and St. Leucio, Naples 1826 Tav (Caserta and contours)